Citation of Engr. Dr. Tunde Olatunji, FNSE FNICE
Born on July 10, 1954 in Ebute Metta, Lagos State, Dr Olatunji attended Mushin District Council School, Lagos, Livingstone Academy and Eko Boys` High School, Lagos where he passed his secondary school certificate with Distinction in 1973. He then proceeded to the University of Benin, Benin City, where he obtained a First Class Honours degree in Civil Engineering in 1979, as the best graduating student that year. Dr. Olatunji worked briefly with Messrs L.A.O. Banjoko & Co. Ltd., Ibadan as a trainee Civil Engineer and Civ-Struct Associates, Ibadan as a NYSC Civil/Structural Engineer in 1979-1980. Dr. Olatunji proceeded to Canada for his postgraduate studies at The University of Alberta in Edmonton be (1981-1986). He obtained M.Sc degree (1983) and also Ph.D (1986) in Civil Engineering at the University of Alberta in Top grades.
As a University Don
Since his return to Nigeria in 1986, Dr Olatunji has been involved in teaching, research, consultancy and construction works including being:
1. The Project Coordinator for Francis Bruce Ltd. for the construction of the buildings and sports complex of the Nigerian Embassy, Equatorial Guinea, 1990-1992
2. General Manager, A.C. Bob Manuel Ltd. Port Harcourt between 1993-1995
3. Lecturer in various Universities such as: University of Alberta, Edmonton Canada and University of Ilorin and River State University of Science and Technology
4. Amana Consortium: Project Manager NDDC Regional Master Plan (Transport Sector) in the nine (9) Niger Delta States (2001 to 2003)
5. Project Manager, Tender Appraisal for Road Construction Projects of the Federal Road Maintenance Agency (FERMA), Amana Consortium, 2001 to 2003
Dr. Olatunji has always been in the forefront in many of his life pursuits; for example, he was:
1. Senior Prefect, Eko Boys` High School, 1973
2. Best graduating student, Faculty of Engineering, University of Benin, 1979
3. Awarded Dumez Nig. Ltd. Scholarship Award 1976-1979;
4. Awarded Federal Government National Merit Scholarship Award, 1976, 1977 and 1978
5. Awarded Harry Sims Memorial Scholarship of the University of Alberta, Canada, 1984-1986
Dr. Olatunji`s published works are in the areas of Quality Control tests, Appropriate Technology and Large Scale testing of structures.
His Service to NSE and NICE
Dr. Olatunji is an achiever and a very active member of the Nigerian Society of Engineers, as well as American Society of Civil Engineers. He had served in various serving and leadership positions, all around the country, as follows:
1. Member, Professional interview for Membership of Nigerian Society of Engineers, Port Harcourt center, September 1997-1999
2. Secretary, Building Committee of Port Harcourt Branch of Nigeria Society of Engineers , 1997
3. General Secretary, Nigeria Society of Engineers (NSE), Port Harcourt Branch, 1998 and within which years the Branch was honoured as a Presidential Merit Award winner for the first time in 25 years in 1998. The Branch commissioned its own Secretariat (first in the country) in 1999; and has remained one of the best Branches of NSE since 1998
4. Coordinator, Civil Division activities of the Nigeria Society of Engineers, Port Harcourt, 1999
5. Reviewer, technical papers for publication in Journals of the Nigeria Society of Engineers (1996 to date)
6. Representative of NSE PREMS on the review panel on Environmental Impact Assessment of Mobil Nigeria Unlimited dredging works in the NLNG projects
7. General Secretary, Civil Engineering Division, the Nigeria Society of Engineers, Lagos, 2000 to date. The Division won the
8. Foundation EXCO Member and first Executive Secretary, Nigerian Institution of Civil Engineers 2001-2007.
9. Chairman, Statutory Audit Committee (Elected Member at AGM 2013) – 2014
Dr. Olatunji is immediate past Director, Professional Development of The Nigerian Society of Engineers, headquarters, Abuja. (4 years contract appointment, 2009-2013). He was then In charge of training and career development of Engineers, and Ag. Executive Secretary (ES), whenever the substantive ES was not on seat. He discharged himself most creditably in all his assignments. Dr. Olatunji served as a Civil Project Supervisor with NDPHC-NIPP Port Harcourt Zone. He was the Civil Consultant on all the civil aspects of NIPP Distribution projects, spanning Rivers, Bayelsa, Akwa Ibom and Cross Rivers States.
He is currently a Partner in CNL Engineering and NICAN International Ltd.
Dr. Olatunji is a recipient of numerous awards which include:
1. NICE National Chair’s Distinguish Service award Winner, 2001, 2003
2. NSE Presidential Award 2014
3. NICE Distinguished Service Awards 2015
4.NICE Presidents Merit Service Award Winner, 2001, 2003
Dr. Olatunji is blessed with three children, two of whom are in engineering. His hobbies include reading, traveling and mentoring. He is cited in Who is Who in Civil Engineering in Nigeria, 2016 Edition