Citation of Engr. Dr. Kadri Obafemi Hamzat FNSE
For his revolutionary initiative that triggered the introduction of modern technology to state ministries, he occupies a conspicuous place amongst Lagos State Galaxy of Stars. Dr. Kadri Obafemi Hamzat, whose arrival into the public service from an illustrious private sector career, was announced by his appointment as Commissioner for Science and Technology during the tenure of Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu in August 2005, hitting the ground running, with rolled-up sleeves, aptly described his duty- assumption disposition.
As Commissioner for Science and Technology
Retaining him as Commissioner for Science and Technology when Governor Babatunde Fashola assumed office in 2007 was natural because of his comprehensive rollout plan of designed initiatives that permanently changed the face of data and record keeping in the state, and swiftly dispatched the ‘ghost workers’ phenomenon in the state civil service.
One after the other, Hamzat untangled historical challenges that had crippled the efficiency of different facets of state operations and made drudgery a forgotten part civil servants’ operations in the state.
Let the counting begin:
1. Hamzat implemented Electronic Document Management Systems (EDMS) across various agencies in the state civil service including Lands Bureau, Pension Directorate and automation of the Certificate of Occupancy Process. By this, he simplified the internal operational procedures and made statutory document collection easier for the people of Lagos State.
2. With the implementation of e-Health in thirteen General Hospitals across the State, Hamzat could be superficially said to have boosted the State’s health system with technological innovation, but a deeper implication of this front-line effort is reduced mortality rate in the State, which is a corollary of intelligent reduction in out-patient queues in our hospitals.
3. His upgrade and management of the State Network Infrastructure improved network connectivity, communication, operations and management of enterprise network in the State. The exercise also improved the efficiency of the communication path and services between users, processes, applications, services and external networks/the internet in Lagos State. This is a positive influence on our social and commercial lives.
4. The ICT Skill Acquisition for 1500 youths under his watch at the Lagos State Ministry for Science and Technology was an empowerment programme executed to strengthen the capacity of the participating youths in ICT to enable them explore the endless opportunities the skill offers.
5. He admirably completed the State’s Storage Area Network (SAN) Infrastructure to enhance the capacity of existing storage devices and augment the capacity of current information storage. This effort is geared at averting loss of document and guarantees information security. With this, valuable State information and archival materials are indestructible as they are now stored in modern storage such as disk arrays and tape libraries.
Indisputably, Dr. Hamzat recorded remarkable feats during his tenure as Commissioner for Science and Technology between 2005 and 2011, initially in the Asiwaju Ahmed Bola Tinubu’s government, and later under Babatunde Raji Fashola’s administration. As a best-in-class public administrator, Hamzat understood that government’s responsibility towards a growing population of 21 million people in Lagos State required critical planning to avoid disruption of public life and commercial activities. This manifested in the coordinated execution of numerous world-class projects executed to support the population, and drive the State’s developmental agenda of becoming Africa’s model megacity as well as a global economic & financial hub.
His forte also extended to Quality control of Civil Engineering and Building Projects, Planning, Designing and Implementation of Infrastructure Programme as well as Rehabilitation and Maintenance of Roads & Bridges and Research & Development.
Kadri Obafemi Hamzat was born on September 19, 1964 in Lagos to His Royal Highness Oba Olatunji Hamzat, an influential Lagos politician, a member of the Lagos State House of Assembly and Commissioner for Transportation between 1979 – 1983) and one-time Vice-Chairman SW of Alliance for Democracy (AD). His mother is late Alhaja Amudalat Kehinde Hamzat, who is from Iga Egbe in Lagos Island.
At the College of New Rochelle and Columbia University – an Ivy League University, both in the United States of America and Cranfiled University in the United Kingdom, Hamzat served as students’ adviser and was responsible for curriculum development, teaching of computer programming and system administration of Windows NT workstations & Servers to students.
With two publications in reputable Scientific Journals to his name, the Microsoft System Engineer, member of the Nigeria Computer Society and Fellow of Nigeria Society of Engineers, also attended a World Bank Third Country Training Programme in Singapore to keep himself abreast of challenges facing the developing nations of world. Dr. Hamzat has deep interest in development economics, social welfare and gender empowerment. He is a vociferous voice against discriminatory policies that debase humanity.
This family-centered man is a practising Muslim, whose marriage to Oluremi Hamzat is blessed with lovely children.